Bright Start® Maternity Program
Early and complete health care before your child's birth is the key to having a healthy baby. Bright Start by AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana helps moms-to-be make healthy choices for themselves and their unborn baby. Any member who is pregnant can join the Bright Start program at no cost.
Your health care provider will decide if your pregnancy is "low-risk" or "high-risk." If the pregnancy is low-risk, you will talk to a Bright Start Outreach Coordinator about your needs, services, and classes you may attend. When you join Bright Start and are high-risk, a case manager will call you and work with you to receive and use program services. The Bright Start Outreach Coordinator will help you choose an AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana OB/GYN and a PCP for your baby. They will also mail information to you during your pregnancy.
With the Bright Start program, we can:
- Help you sign up for childbirth and other health information classes.
- Help you choose a doctor who is right for you.
- Give you information on prenatal vitamins and eating right; your body needs extra vitamins, like folic acid (a B vitamin), when you are pregnant.
- Work with your provider and dentist to make sure you get the care you need. Having healthy teeth and gums is very important during pregnancy.
- Give you information and resources to help you have a safe pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Your pregnancy may be high-risk if:
- You are younger than 18 years of age.
- You had a problem pregnancy in the past.
- Your doctor tells you that your pregnancy is "high-risk.”
Each Bright Start high-risk member works with a special nurse. The nurse will give you information about your needs, help you get the care you need, and check in with you often to help you during your pregnancy. The nurse will work with you to get special services you may need including social work, specialty care, home health services, or help from local agencies.
Based on your situation, your provider may give you additional information about a cesarean section (C-section). You could need to have a C-section if there are problems with your baby's health, but your doctor may have other reasons to recommend a C-section. To learn more view, our flyer (PDF) or visit www.marchofdimes.org.
After your baby is born, the Bright Start Outreach Coordinator will talk with you to help you get health services for your baby.
How to join or opt out of Bright Start
To join or opt out of Bright Start, please call 1-888-913-0327, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Or you can log in to the member portal and go to Enroll in a Special Program.
If you decide you do not want to be a part of these programs, it will not change your benefits. It will also not change the way AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana or Louisiana Medicaid treat you.
Check out our Bright Start Plus℠ mobile app
Track your pregnancy through each milestone and trimester. Create profiles for the whole family. Read about health milestones for mom and dad, adults and kids. Track health milestones for everyone.
- Bright Start brochure (PDF) — Bright Start is a special program for our pregnant members. Find out how Bright Start can assist you.
- Bright Start maternity calendar (PDF) — Track each step of your pregnancy with our maternity calendar.
- Order your breast pump — Find out how to order a breast pump.
- Find a Provider — Find a provider who can help you be a healthy and happy mom.
- Mental health and substance use treatment resources — Find out more information about mental health and substance abuse.
- Questions for your doctor — It's hard to know what to ask. Find out what you need to know.
- Postpartum care — Find out how to enroll your baby and schedule important first doctor appointments.
- Women's health services — See our full list of women's health services and programs including programs for new moms.