Preparing for a hurricane
Prepare for hurricanes and other weather emergencies
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana has created programs with specially trained staff to help you before a weather event. We will work with the state to help you during emergencies. And we will be there to assist you after a storm.
Stay safe during a weather emergency: Make a plan, make a kit, stay informed.
Make a plan
- Start thinking about where you and your family will go during a weather emergency.
- Use this family emergency plan checklist (PDF) to keep you and your family safe
- Consider staying with out-of-state friends or family members
- Make sure your travel plans keep you out of the hurricane area
- Travel with cash, not credit cards
- Talk to your doctor ahead of time if you have any special medical needs
- If you have pets, you should think about where they will go; emergency shelters don’t usually take animals
Make a kit
Gather and store the following supplies in case you can't get out of your home:
- Water. Store one gallon of water per family member, per day, for at least three days.
- Food. Gather food that you don’t have to cook, like canned vegetables and fruit. Don’t forget to pack a can opener, as well as items with protein, such as beans and peanut butter.
- Clothes for three days, and bedding for you and your family.
- Medications. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a list of prescription medicines and pack a two-week supply.
- Important papers. Keep all your important papers in one place, so they are easy to grab in case you need to leave. Be sure to have your insurance cards with you.
- Flashlight. Don’t forget the batteries.
- Radio. You’ll need to stay informed of the latest weather and evacuation news.
- Personal care items. Remember to pack items like your toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, and toilet paper.
- First aid supplies. This should include items such as pain relievers, antiseptics, and bandages.
- Quiet activities. Books, cards and quiet toys will help occupy your time.
- Tune in to the news when a storm or hurricane is developing nearby. Listen to evacuation orders. Don’t wait until the last minute to leave.
- To get in touch with AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana in a weather emergency, use the Member Services line. It will still be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 888-756-0004 (TTY 866-428-7588). You can also check our website for updated information.
- If you have problems obtaining medications prior to evacuating for a storm please call Pharmacy Member Services at 866-452-1040. AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana works directly with our network pharmacies to make sure you can refill prescriptions before you evacuate.
- Read our weather emergency FAQs.
These other websites can help before or during a weather emergency: