Choosing your doctor
Your doctor/Primary Care Provider (PCP)
When you join AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana, you will choose a doctor from the AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana provider directory. This doctor is your Primary Care Doctor (PCP). Your PCP is your family doctor, or the doctor you regularly see. Your PCP oversees your health care and helps you get the care you need when you need it.
Tips for choosing a PCP:
- You can choose a different PCP for each family member in AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana or you can choose one PCP for the entire family
- If your current PCP is a member of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana’s network, you may stay with that doctor
- Call Member Services if you need help picking a doctor, or once you choose a doctor
If you do not choose a PCP within 10 days of enrollment, we will choose one for you.
- It’s important to see your PCP right away—before you get sick and need medical care.
- Make an appointment for a medical checkup right away. The PCP’s phone number is listed on your ID card
- If you picked a new PCP, have your medical records sent from your old PCP to your new PCP
- Remember, you can change your PCP at any time and for any reason