Postpartum Care Center
Martha gave birth to her daughter last month. Even though Martha feels great, she still visits with her doctor regularly. She made sure to go to a follow-up appointment a few weeks after she gave birth. Martha knows it takes a healthy mom to care for a healthy baby.
Did you just have your baby, too? After you have a baby it is important to:
Schedule his/her first doctor appointment
- Call your baby’s doctor (pediatrician) to make a first appointment for your baby. Your baby should have an appointment when he/she is 2 – 4 weeks old, unless the doctor wants to see your baby sooner. Find a pediatrician using our online provide directory.
Schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN within 1-12 weeks after you give birth
- Your doctor will make sure you’re healing well. Your doctor will check to be sure all of those aches and pains you might still have are a normal part of the healing process.
- Your doctor can check you for postpartum depression. Many new moms have “baby blues.” You may feel a little sad or teary at times during the first 2 weeks after giving birth. This is normal. Postpartum depression is more serious. If you have postpartum depression, your doctor can help.
- Your doctor can answer your questions. If you have any questions or worries about your health, your doctor can help. Your doctor can reassure any of your concerns.
- Your doctor can help you with family planning. Your doctor will tell you about all of the family planning options available and help you select what’s best for you. Keep in mind that you can get pregnant as early as 3 weeks after birth. So, it is important to plan ahead if you do not want to get pregnant right away.
- Bright Start postpartum brochure (PDF) — A guide to taking care of yourself after pregnacny.
- Find a Provider — Find a provider who can help you be a healthy and happy mom.
- Postpartum enrollment and doctor appointments — Find out how to enroll your baby and schedule your his or her first doctor (pediatrician) appointment.
- Everyday healthy habits — Here's what you can do to help keep healthy after you give birth.
- Questions for your doctor — It's hard to know what to ask. Find out what you need to know.
- Women's health services — See our full list of women's health services and programs, including programs for new moms.