AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana's Corporate Confidentiality Policy
The policy states that during the course of business operations, confidential information and/or proprietary information, including member protected health information (PHI), may become available to AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana associates, consultants and contractors.
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana's use and disclosure of member PHI is regulated pursuant to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA") and its implementing regulations. AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana's use and disclosure of PHI is also impacted by applicable state laws and regulations governing the confidentiality and disclosure of health information.
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana is committed to safeguarding confidential information and proprietary Information, including ensuring the privacy and security of member PHI, in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
It is the obligation of all AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana associates, consultants and contractors to safeguard and maintain the confidentiality of confidential and proprietary information, including PHI, in accordance with the requirements of all applicable federal and state statutes and regulations as well as the provisions of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana‘s Confidentiality Policy and other AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana policies and procedures addressing confidential and proprietary information, including PHI.
All confidential information and proprietary information, including PHI, will be handled on a need-to-know basis. The AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana Confidentiality Policy and other AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana policies and procedures are adopted to protect the confidentiality of such information consistent with the need to effectively conduct business operations without using or disclosing more information than is necessary, for example, conducting research or measuring quality through the use of aggregated data wherever possible.
No associate, consultant or contractor is permitted to disclose confidential information or proprietary information pertaining to AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana or a member to any other associate, consultant or contractor unless such a disclosure is consistent with the AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana Confidentiality Policy.
Both during and after an Associate's association with the AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana, it shall be a violation of the AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana Confidentiality Policy to discuss, release, or otherwise disclose any confidential information or proprietary information, except as required by the associate's employment relationship with AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana or as otherwise required by law.
It is also a violation of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana‘s Confidentiality Policy for any associate to use confidential information or proprietary information for his/her own personal benefit or in any way inconsistent with applicable law or the interests of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana.
To the extent that a violation of the AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana Confidentiality Policy occurs, AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana reserves the right to pursue any recourse or remedy to which it is entitled under law. Furthermore, any violation of the AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana Confidentiality Policy will subject the associate(s) in question to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
The following information is provided to outline the rules regarding the handling of confidential information and proprietary information within AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana.
Confidential information and proprietary information includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Protected health information
- Medical or personal information pertaining to associates of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana (―the Company‖) and/or its customers
- Accounting, billing or payroll information, and data reports and statistics regarding the company, its associates, members, and/or customers
- Information that AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana is required by law, regulation, agreement or policy to maintain as confidential
- Financial information regarding the company, its members, network providers and Customers, including but not limited to contract rates and fees
- Associate personnel and payroll records
- Information, ideas, or data developed or obtained by AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana, such as marketing and sales information, marketplace assessments, data on customers or prospects, proposed rates, rating formulas, reimbursement formulas, health care provider payment rates, business of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana and/or its customers
- Information not generally known to the public upon which the goodwill, welfare and competitive ability of AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana and/or its customers depend, information regarding product plans and design, marketing sales and plans, computer hardware, software, computer systems and programs, processing techniques, and general outputs
- Information concerning AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana 's business plans
- Information that could help others commit fraud or sabotage or misuse AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana 's products or services